SOUTHERN TIER SPORTS REPORT: LAWSON, CORNFIELD HEADLING ALL-STSR XC TEAMS
(2023-11-29)Southern Tier Sports Report
Another cross country season is in the books and the All-Southern Tier Sports Report all-star team is loaded with Corning standouts after another big year by the Hawks.
The boys and girls runners of the year are both from Corning as Sarah Lawson is the girls’ runner of the year and DJ Cornfield is the boys’ runner of the year.
Ray Lawson is coach of the year for both the boys and girls and Corning’s Sebastian Boutwell and Maddie Sweet are the newcomers of the year.
* Cornfield was the Section IV runner-up, and had the second fastest time in the merged result among all the classes at the sectional meet. He was 33rd at states, with the second fastest time of any Section IV runner at the state meet. He was the STAC champion this season.
* Boutwell was the third-place finisher at the STAC Championships. He was fifth at the Section IV Championship in Class A and seventh in the merged results of all the runners at sectionals. He was a state qualifier where he took 61st in the state. He did this in his first year as a top seven runner for the Hawks.
* Jaxyn Mahoney, Corning: A state qualifier, where he finished 72nd in the state. He was eighth at the Section IV Championships and finished eighth at the STAC Championships.
* Gregory Homa, Corning: A state qualifier. Finished 84th at states. Finished ninth at the STAC Championships and also at the Section IV, Class A Championships.
* Nicholas Perratella, Corning: A state qualifier. Finished 85th at states. Finished 11th at the Section IV, Class A Championships and also at the STAC Championships.
* Kiran Gulati, Horseheads: Was 25th at the STAC Championships and 14th at sectionals.
* Gavin Hornsby, Horseheads: Was 15th at sectionals. Started the year as a JV runner, winning the Crusader Clash JV title, but moved his way up to a top 15 finish at sectionals.
* Aidan Kahabka, Corning: Was 17th at sectionals and 21st at the STAC Championships.
* Gavin Meier, ND: Was 13th at the Section IV, Class D Championships.
* Lawson finished her career as a three-time Sectional champion and a three-time state medalist. She finished eighth at regionals to qualify for nationals. She won STAC and Section IV titles and helped the Hawks win team titles in both the STAC and Section IV. She won the STAC title by 50 seconds and the Section IV title by 10 seconds, with third place a minute and a half behind. She had the top overall time among any runner in the merged results at sectionals.
* Sweet: In her first year as a top seven runner for the Hawks she took 18th at the sectional meet.
* Sadie Beres, Corning: Took third at sectionals and sixth at the STAC Championships. Finished 93rd at states.
* Mackenzie Baker, Horseheads: A state qualifier where she finished 69th. Was fifth at the STAC Championships and at the Section IV Championships. Was fourth at the Owego Invite.
* Ella Grinnell, Corning: The second highest local finisher for the girls at states, she finished 68th at the state meet: Was third at the STAC Championships and sixth at sectionals.
* Lauren Roche, Corning: Finished 88th at states. Was 8th at the STAC Championships and seventh at sectionals.
* Ella Devlin, Elmira: A state qualifier for the second straight year, as a freshman, she finished 89th at states. Was eighth at sectionals.
* Faith Tubbs, Corning: Finished 87th at states. Was 12th at the STAC Championships. Was ninth at sectionals.
* Olivia Murch, Corning: Finished 90th at states. Was 10th at the STAC Championships. Was 10th at sectionals.
* Meghan McLaughlin, Corning: Finished 85th at states. Was 11th at the STAC Championships. Was 11th at sectionals.
* Mayla Falank, Edison: A state qualifier for the first time she finished 89th at states in Class C. Was seventh at sectionals in Class C.
ALL STSR CROSS COUNTRY
Runner of the year: DJ Cornfield, Corning
Coach of the year: Ray Lawson, Corning
Newcomer of the year: Sebastian Boutwell, Corning
BOYS' ALL STARS
DJ Cornfield, Corning
Sebastian Boutwell, Corning
Jaxyn Mahoney, Corning
Gregory Homa, Corning
Nicholas Ferratella, Corning
Kiran Gulati, Horseheads
Gavin Hornsby, Horseheads
Aidan Kahabka, Corning
Gavin Meier, ND
Runner of the year: Sarah Lawson, Corning
Coach of the year: Ray Lawson, Corning
Newcomer of the year: Maddie Sweet, Corning
Sarah Lawson, Corning
Sadie Beres, Corning
Mackenzie Baker, Horseheads
Ella Grinnell, Corning
Lauren Roche, Corning
Ella Devlin, Elmira
Faith Tubbs, Corning
Olivia Murch, Corning
Meghan McLaughlin, Corning
Mayla Falank, Edison
STSR FILE PHOTOS.