THE WEEK AHEAD: REGULAR SEASON STARTS TO WIND DOWN AS SOME SPORTS HEAD INTO POSTSEASON
(2021-10-10)Southern Tier Sports Report
The regular season starts to wind down for a lot of sports, and the postseason is underway in others as we have a little lighter week of events this week.
There are 27 games on tap this week, with Tuesday highlighting the week with nine events, including some postseason matchups.
There are some key soccer games to help decide league titles, and a marquee swim meet between Corning and Horseheads, along with the postseason events, and the Horseheads volleyball invite and Elmira swim invite.
Here’s a look day-by-day at this weeks’ schedule, and how many events are taking place each day.MONDAY (1)
* The Notre Dame girls soccer team is the only event on the schedule on a holiday as they host SVEC. With a win the Crusaders assure themselves of a playoff with Waverly on Wednesday to decide the IAC division title.TUESDAY (9)
* Last week the golfers from the large schools took part in class sectionals. Today all of the teams in the STAC meet at Mark Twain for the league meet. The golf starts at 9 a.m. with the top teams and individuals from Section 4 competing.
* Horseheads, Elmira and Corning are among the teams competing in the division meet at Big Flats Community Park.
* There are four volleyball matches on the schedule, and all of them are home. Horseheads hosts Binghamton, Corning takes on Union-Endicott, Elmira hosts Vestal and Edison takes on Waverly in a busy day on the courts.
* There is a big swimming and diving meet as Corning travels to Horseheads. The Hawks and Blue Raiders are both unbeaten in dual meets. Meanwhile Elmira travels to Binghamton for a meet.
* The Notre Dame boys’ soccer team wraps up it’s season on the road at Odessa-Montour.WEDNESDAY (4)
* The Corning girls’ soccer team wrapped up the STAC West title last week. Now they face Oneonta in the STAC semifinals.
* With a win on Monday the Notre Dame girls’ soccer team will assure itself of a playoff with Waverly for the league title. The two teams have met twice this year, both games ending in scoreless ties.
* The Elmira girls’ soccer team goes on the road to take on Owego.
* The Edison volleyball team plays for the second straight day, heading to Spencer Van-Etten.THURSDAY (4)
* There are a pair of volleyball matches, with a big matchup between two local teams as Horseheads plays host to Corning, meanwhile the Elmira volleyball team heads to Ithaca.
* The Elmira swimming and diving team hosts Johnson City, while Notre Dame is at Watkins Glen.FRIDAY (4)
* There are three football games on the schedule, two of them on the road. Elmira travels to Union-Endicott in a battle of state-ranked teams. Elmira is ranked in Class AA and U-E is ranked in Class A. The Corning football team heads to Vestal for a STAC matchup, while Notre Dame plays their first home game since week one, welcoming Unadilla Valley.
* The Corning gymnastics team heads to MCA Gymnastics in Byron, N.Y. for a meet.SATURDAY (5)
* There are two football games on tap. Edison hosts Groton for the Spartans homecoming game, while Horseheads heads to Binghamton, looking to move to 5-1 on the year.
* Horseheads, Corning and Elmira are among the teams at the Horseheads Invitational. Among the other teams in the field are Owego, Vestal, City Honors, Baldwinsville, John Glenn, Portville, North Penn and Cicero North Syracuse.
* The Corning, Elmira and Notre Dame swim teams are among the team sin action at the Elmira swimming and diving invitational this year.
* All five of the area teams head to the Marathon Invite to take on a strong field at the annual meet.
Print Friendly Version