THE WEEK AHEAD: BIG RIVALRY MATCHUPS IN FOOTBALL AND SOCCER HIGHLIGHT BUSY WEEK
(2021-09-12)Southern Tier Sports Report
This week features a lot of matchups of area teams squaring off against each other, both on the gridiron and the soccer field.
One big matchup kicks off the week, while another comes later in the week.
The week kicks off with Corning at Horseheads girls soccer on Monday, a game that will be the Blue Raiders first girls’ soccer game in their new stadium.
On Friday Horseheads plays host to Elmira, with both teams coming off wins in week one.
There are a total of 38 events on the schedule, including a busy day on Tuesday with 14 events taking place.
Here’s a look day by day at how many events there are, and what events are on the schedule.
* One of the highlights of the week is the Blue Raiders playing host to Corning in a girls’ soccer matchup. After the football team and boys’ soccer team each had their first games in the new stadium, it’s the girls turn at Horseheads. The Blue Raiders are looking for their first win, while Corning is unbeaten to start the year.
* The Horseheads tennis team plays host to Elmira. Both teams are looking for their first win. The Corning tennis team is unbeaten and they hit the road to Ithaca.
* The Elmira girls suffered their first loss, 2-1 at Notre Dame, and now they hit the road to Ithaca for a STAC game.
* The Corning golf team heads to Vestal for a STAC matchup.
* All four area swim teams hit the pool on Monday. Corning is the lone home matchup as they welcome Johnson City to town. Corning is unbeaten. Horseheads won their opener against Maine-Endwell and they host Union-Endicott, while Elmira goes to Vestal, after having a matchup against Johnson City canceled. Notre Dame dropped their opener to Waverly and will look for their first win of the season as they head to Watkins Glen.
* The four area volleyball teams all hit the road for matchups. Corning is at Maine-Endwell and Horseheads is at Vestal. Both the Hawks and Blue Raiders are unbeaten this year. Edison is at Newark Valley. The Spartans dropped tough matches to Tioga and Candor to start the year, while Elmira is 1-1 on the year as they head to Union-Endicott.
* One day after Corning and Horseheads met in girls soccer, the two boys teams hook up at Corning. Meanwhile the Elmira boys team hosts Ithaca in a STAC matchup.
* The Notre Dame girls’ soccer team is unbeaten to start the year and they welcome Spencer Van-Etten to town.
* The Horseheads golf team travels to Ithaca for a STAC matchup.
* The Horseheads tennis team plays there second match in two days as they head to Ithaca.
After meeting at the Crusader Clash on Saturday, Edison and Notre Dame meet again as the Crusaders host Edison, Dryden and Newark Valley in a quad meet.
* Another rivalry game on the pitch as the Elmira girls host Horseheads.
* After facing Horseheads to start the week, the Elmira tennis team travels to Corning for a STAC matchup.
* The Corning golf team makes a trip to Binghamton.
* A day after the girls matchup the Elmira and Horseheads boys meet on the pitch in Horseheads. Meanwhile, the Notre Dame boys travel to Watkins Glen.
* The Corning girls play host to Chenango Valley in soccer action.
* The Corning golf team plays host to Elmira at Corning Country Club.
* The Elmira tennis team has their third match of the week, hosting Maine-Endwell.
* The Horseheads swim team plays host to Binghamton as the Blue Raiders host a meet for the second time this week.
* The Edison volleyball team faces another IAC foe as they welcome Spencer Van-Etten to town.
* After each cruising to wins in their opener, with Horseheads shutting out Vestal and Elmira routing Binghamton, the two rivals meet on the gridiron. It will be the second night home game for Horseheads, one week after opening their stadium.
* A big rivalry game in girls’ soccer as the Notre Dame girls play host to Waverly. The two teams play under the lights with a 7 p.m. Friday night matchup.
* The Edison and Notre Dame football teams will square off on the gridiron with both looking for their first wins of the season. Edison comes in after a loss to Newfield in week one, while Notre Dame dropped a game against Trumansburg. It’s the Spartans first home game of the season.
* Corning and Elmira’s cross country teams head to Chenango Valley for the pre-state meet.
* The Corning and Elmira volleyball teams make the trip to Tioga to play in the Tioga volleyball tournament.
* Corning and Notre Dame’s swim teams head to Waverly for the Waverly Invitational.
* Another rivalry game on the pitch as the Corning boys play host to Elmira. Meanwhile the Horseheads boys make a trip to Ithaca.
* The Elmira girls take on a non-league foe from outside Section 4 as they welcome Liverpool out of Section 3 for an afternoon matchup.
Print Friendly Version